#Show me your pump (more diabetes stuff so scroll on by)

Today was a pretty big day for me with the installation, initiation or even inception of an Insulin pump to make my life that little bit easier or the control of my diabetes anyway.

There's a few people on Booklikes who I've talked with about this and there's also a couple who have Type 1 diabetes. So it's always nice to talk with people who know what it's all about, have been there so to speak and are familiar with the issues around it. So this is more for them.

Diabetes currently affects 382 million people worldwide and is expected to affect 592 million by 2025.

There are currently over 3.2 million people with diabetes in the UK and there are more than half a million people with diabetes who have the condition and don't know it.

Even though diabetes affects over 5% of the world’s population, many people know very little about the disease.

There are 2 primary types of diabetes:
Type 1 diabetes occurs when your immune system destroys the beta cells in the pancreas that create insulin. As a result, the body makes very little or no insulin of its own. People with type 1 diabetes must take insulin daily. Type 1 diabetes is sometimes called juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the pancreas does not make enough insulin, or the body cannot properly use the insulin it does create. Eventually, the pancreas may stop producing insulin altogether. Type 2 diabetes can affect people at any age. Type 2 diabetes is commonly (but not always) associated with being overweight and obesity

As you may already know, controlling your blood glucose is important for avoiding hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia—blood glucose lows and highs.

A Hypo affects the here and now, its immediately serious and at worst can knock you unconscious if not treated right away and go even as far as a coma, not good at all.

hyperglycemia is more long term and can have various effects, listed below but can pretty much be avoided with good control of your diabetes. That's more the reason I have a pump now, I guess my control has always been very much up and down, a bit like a good old fashioned Sine wave (remember that one from school).

By keeping your blood glucose in your target range, you may delay or prevent long-term diabetes complications. High blood glucose can damage many parts of your body, including your eyes, heart and toes. The good news is that you, along with your healthcare professional (my little Ann and Dorothy), may be able to lessen or even prevent the impact of diabetes complications on your life.

About the Pump

Multiple Daily Injection therapy (MDI) requires a major commitment. Injecting insulin several times a day needs to be carefully planned and incorporated into your daily routine. It is also more difficult to tune the insulin basal rate to accommodate unexpected challenges in everyday life.

Life with a portable insulin pump is much simpler and more convenient. The pump can be worn discreetly on the body, for example on a belt or in a pocket. It has an infusion set with a cannula that is inserted into subcutaneous tissue. The pump then delivers a continuous and adjustable dose of regular insulin or fast-acting insulin analog. Before meals, just press a button to deliver a supplemental dose (bolus).

There is no longer any need to administer multiple injections every day. This makes you more independent and flexible in how you lead your life.
An insulin pump can help you avoid the rigid regimen and lack of flexibility that used to be associated with diabetes, while tailoring your insulin doses to your needs.

You still have to watch how you eat and exercise – but the use of an insulin pump lets you do things more spontaneously, easily and free of hassles and stress.
An insulin pump makes it easy for you to effectively handle everyday situations such as eating meals at different times, irregular work schedules, varying activity levels and changes in blood glucose levels caused by health issues, hormonal swings or medications.
More and more people with diabetes are deciding to switch from multiple daily injections to an insulin pump and reap the benefits this therapy can offer.so hopefully I can reap the benefits.

Here's a little bit about it here

Here's my pump and all the masses of paraphernalia that comes with it.

Funny how you involuntarily breath in for the camera.

I guess it's all a little easier if you're an adult but when's kids get it, it's got to be heartbreaking for a parent and soon not to far away I think pump therapy will effectively replace the actions of your pancreas completely. That can only be good, if only this could be available for everyone and cost wasn't an issue.

Sorry for boring you but it's a big thing for me and lot's of others.