The Dunfield Terror by William Meikle

The Dunfield Terror - William Meikle

The Dunfield Terror is a 'Lovecraftian horror' apparently, wouldn't know personally I've never read Lovecraft, maybe I need to because it's a pretty popular subject in horror circles.

Anyway William Meikle's The Dunfield Terror is set over several timelines in Canada, the first in the present where Frank is part of the crew that keep the roads clear when the snow hits and it’s not just the snow that hits tonight. A mysterious glowing fog arrives, not for the first time and more commonly known in the area as the 'fucker'. First chapter this 'fucker' makes a bit of a mess of Frank's rather large snow plough and it’s certainly not what you'd call a natural occurrence.

Pretty soon this fog is wreaking havoc in the quaint little port of Dunfield.

'When I opened my eyes, there was nothing to see but debris in the water …and a tendril of fog, almost luminescent, stretching ever closer to our own lifeboat.'

The second main timeline via a journal is back in the 1950's and told in first person as is the present timeline. Duncan Campbell a mammalian biologist is part of a scientific experiment that sets out to make a battleship invisible, they do far more than that and the repercussions are devastatingly horrific.

The First person point of view method of telling the story didn't entirely sit neatly with me, I didn't feel the characters, didn't get inside them and wasn’t completely gripped, not until the end anyway. This may be more to do with the stuff I've been reading recently though. I thought it more an intricate description of the events happening from the various characters viewpoints than a depthful look at the personnel involved. Which wasn't a bad thing, I just expect I guess a little more, that said the last fifth of this was exceptional from a tension filled horror angle, top notch creature feature, that harbinger of death the 'fucker'. A mighty efficient weapon but far from controllable.

Looks like I'll have to keep waiting for William Meikle to completely blow me away like he did with Clockwork Dolls but I'm patient.

I received The Dunfield Terror from Darkfuse & Netgalley in exchange for an honest review and that’s what you’ve got.