The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

The Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King

The Eyes of the Dragon is in my book a kid’s fantasy tale and one with a merrily joyous feel good factor, it was all just too nice and goodly good for me. If my only way of escape was to fashion a rope out of strands of napkin, worked on a toy and it was going to take over a year, then I'd have thrown myself out of the tower on day 3, fuck it as they say and goodbye happy ending.

Flagg is the man in black, the evil magician who's been around for ever, changing faces and involving himself in the running of the kingdom of Delain for generations. He poisons the King and sets eldest son Peter up for the fall. A lifetimes imprisonment in the tower and then it's youngest son Thomas who takes over, subtly prodded by our man in black.

Peter is of course a lovely lad who everyone believes is guilty except a few friends, so he sets out to escape using the threads of many napkins tailored into rope, worked on a tiny loom or whatever it was and aaaaaaaah!!!! thunk.

Oh noooo, he's had enough after three weeks and chucked himself out, three hundred foot to the cobbles below. Ah fuck I was just getting into that and he's blown the ending, every goody fantasy trope blown to the wind all from a disappointing lack of endurance. Boys and dolls houses never end well, Oh well surprises all round there, totally unexpected and I have to say, well played.

Truth? Of course not, it all ends exactly as expected in a well written tale of loveliness.