The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain

The Postman Always Rings Twice - James M. Cain

The Postman Always Rings Twice is a classic crime tale from James M. Cain and to be honest you just can't read this without Jack Nicholson being prominent in your thoughts.

Luck is on Frank Chambers side when he gets dumped in southern California with no car and no cash, doesn't sound too lucky admittedly but using his devilish charm he lands a job working at a small truck stop for Nick Papadakis. Then comes Nicks beautiful wife Cora and fervent lust bursts to the fore, and when Nick goes away on business, a torrid affair explodes.

Cora is the perfect femme fatale figure, tired of her situation, married to a man she does not love and wanting to own the diner. And Frank's arrival comes just at the right time.

'I bit her. I sunk my teeth into her lips so deep I could feel the blood spurt into my mouth. It was running down her neck when I carried her upstairs.'

Lust brings motivation and plan time as the lovers arrange an accident for husband Nick, not quite a romantic undertaking with murder and the insurance policy hanging in the background. The accident goes perfectly except for one itsy bitsy problemo.

Told in first person through Frank's eyes, The Postman Always Rings Twice is a tight little story at around 120 pages, a distinct slither of dread rolls through this story, along with a deep passion, spiralling desperation and a determination that's only ever going to end one way. Great story.