Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline - Neil Gaiman

'Darker shadows slipped through the shadows at the edges of things.'

I listened to the audio of Coraline narrated by the fantastic Dawn French and once again I was blown away by a deeply absorbing children's horrorish tale.

Coraline, not Caroline as all the neighbours fail to comprehend is an intrepid explorer, a hobby that's generally down to being ignored by her parents. And top of the list of things to explore: the mysterious door in her home, the one that leads absolutely nowhere. Until, one day, it leads somewhere, somewhere magical, straight out of a kid’s nightmare.

'She had the feeling that the door was looking back at her, which she knew was silly, and knew on a deeper level was somehow true.'

A world of someone's making, exactly like her own, almost. A world of darkest danger, where she lost everything, lost her parents and with a little help managed to find them again. But until then she had to make do with the Other Mother, the one who wanted to love and keep her forever, as a possession.

'Coraline shivered. She preferred the other mother to have a location: if she were nowhere, then she could be anywhere. And, after all, it is always easier to be afraid of something you cannot see.'

The audio is a great way for a first introduction to this story, I also flicked through the 10th anniversary edition with some wonderfully dark illustrations by Chris Riddell. As I've stated previously I love Gaimans prose, the quote at the top is another good example of how his simple yet imaginative style just stands out in delightfully spellbinding fashion.

'She had a show of unconcernedness, but her fingers twitched and drummed and she licked her lips with her scarlet tongue.'

Enchanting, bewitching and simply charming, just about says it.