The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones

The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones - Frank McConnell, Charles Vess, Todd Klein, D'Israeli, Richard Case, Kevin Nowlan, Teddy Kristiansen, Marc Hempel, Glyn Dillon, Dean Ornston, Neil Gaiman The Kindly Ones is quite simply the best graphic novel I have read, the bar is raised for a series that was already at the top limit of the vault. A true masterpiece that deserves 6 out of 5 stars, I read it twice which I have only ever done with the Lord of the Rings trilogy and that in itself says a great deal.
The thirteen episodes of this volume feature many characters that we have met in the series so far and significantly add to the excitement that builds almost page by page.

Lyta Hall leaves her son Daniel with a babysitter as she considers taking a job, during the interview she has a horrible feeling that something has happened to her son and rushes home to find he has been kidnapped. Believing Dream responsible she begs the Furies of Greek mythology, the Kindly Ones for vengeance. For this supposed crime the Furies cannot avenge but the Dream kings compassionate act of ending his sons life and shedding family blood gives them the power to hound the Dream realm and its Lord.
An intense and disturbing story that hints at the repercussions Hippolyta Hall will face for her actions leading to the demise of Dream and the elevation of her son who she will never see again.
Absolutely fantastic and a highly enjoyable read.