The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery

The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery - Peter David, Stephen King, Richard Ianove, Jae Lee, Robin Furth Roland, Alain, and Cuthbert have returned to Gilead, Roland mind is free of Maerlyn's Grapefruit but he still obsesses over the orb to the point where he remains in his room ensconced by its presence. For most of the story we concentrate on Cuthbert & Alain as they deal with the disgruntled novice gunslingers and prepare for the ceremony where they will receive their guns. A new character shown on the cover of the novel is Aileen, she is the niece of Cort and deals with the prejudices of the novices as she dreams of being the first female gunslinger, an interesting character with bags of potential for the future volumes. We also see more of Roland's father Steven Deschain as he suffers treachery on all fronts as John Farsons men infiltrate Gilead.
The overall theme of this volume as the title says is Treachery, there are traitors everywhere working to end Gilead and the rule of Roland's father, the end of the series is frantically paced as the plans of the treacherous begin to prevail but Roland has one more fatal interaction with Maerlyn's Grapefruit which I hope is the last.
Again the artwork is impressive with Roland's vein ravaged face standing out from the effects of the orb and the final shooting of who believes to be Rhea of the Cöos.