Homeland: The Graphic Novel

Homeland: The Graphic Novel - R.A. Salvatore, Andrew Dabb, Tim Seeley The Salvatore series featuring the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden barring Lord of the Rings was the first fantasy series I read and continued with 20+ books and as a result is by far my favourite genre. The natural step as I have delved into graphic novels was to go back to the series that started it all and with Homeland I was far from disappointed.The story and the artwork really capture the essence of the Drow or Dark Elf culture, mainly deceit, deception and ruthlessness.

The story takes place in the great Drow city of Menzoberranzan, in a place known as the Underdark and deep under ground. Drow society consists of a hierarchy of powerful families each looking to get a step higher up the ladder whilst winning and maintaining the favour of their spider God Lolth. Each family is ruled by the more powerful females and head of the family is the Matron, we meet Matron Malice, head of House Do'Urden as she plots the destruction of House Devir which will allow Do'Urden to move up to the ninth most powerful house. The evil morals of the dark elfs are revealed early as the Devir house is culled, the children slaughtered and at the same time the second eldest Do'Urden son slays his brother to become the elderboy of the house. This is turn saves the life of the third son, newly born on the night of the slaughter from being sacrificed to Lolth as custom dictates and the baby's name Drizzt Do'Urden.

Here we see Drizzt grow from his early trials, his schooling in the arts of both combat and magic to his eventual disappointment and resentment of his Kin's life and actions.
Read the RA Salvatore books some years ago so I can't verify how closely the graphic novel follows the book but it does read very well and seeing Drizzt develop into the twin scimitar wielding warrior of the heroic fantasy I remember was as good as it could have been. The artwork of both Menzoberranzan and all the characters was flawless and I shall certainly continue with the series