The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born

The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born - Richard Isanove, Jae Lee, Robin Furth, Peter David, Stephen King It was well over 5 years ago when I read Stephen King's The Dark Tower series and stumbling onto the graphic novels has rekindled my interest a little even to the point of buying the 8th novel The Wind Through the Keyhole.
The Gunslinger Born is the retelling of Roland's younger days from book four of The Dark Tower Series, Wizard and Glass.
The first issue sees Roland Deschain, son of Stevan of the line of Eld challenge his teacher and mentor in arms Cort for the right to be called a Gunslinger or exile. He also happens upon his fathers wizard and chief advisor, Martin Broadcloak in the arms of his mother. Roland is visited by his father Stevan, Lord of Gilead and chief of the gunslingers. Stevan outlines his plans to his son and Roland must leave Gilead with his friends Cuthbert and Alain on a mission.
On the ride to Hambry Roland meets Susan, the betrothed mistress of the Mayer and falls in love, for the short time they know each other Susan will cast a heavy shadow on his heart for the rest of his life.
The Gunslinger Born is an excellent companion to the Dark Tower series and an introduction to Roland's younger days, the mood and setting is captured perfectly and the artwork is definitely eye catching. I will certainly continue with this graphic novel series.