The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country

The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country - Charles Vess, Colleen Doran, Steve Erickson, Malcolm Jones III, Kelly   Jones, Neil Gaiman Four seemingly unconnected stories, in the first Calliope who was Homers muse is enslaved by a writer and then passed onto another writer who has run out of ideas and subsequently becomes a huge success through the inventiveness she prompts. Raped and abused she seeks help and here we learn of a past relationship with Dream thousands of years ago and a son born to them. There is evidence that Dream has changed due to his imprisonment as he shows empathy with Calliope's situation. This was my favourite of the four stories with some truly disturbing moments as we see the writers euphoria when he gets all he wishes for, until its all torn away.
The second story is about cats which usually is enough to put me off straight away but here we see Dream in animal guise and a cat prophet.
In the third issue Dream commissions a play from William Shakespeare and they give a performance to the court of the Faerie, the play is intended as a gift to the King and Queen so they may never be forgotten.
In the final issue we see the return of Dream' sister Death who gives an indestructible but suicidal woman a way to end her miserable life. Dream is absent in this story but we do get his gothic sister who is an interesting character with alot of potential.