The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes - Neil Gaiman, Malcolm Jones III, Karen  Berger, Sam Kieth, Todd Klein, Mike Dringenberg New to the Sandman series, initial thoughts a little weird, dark, horror or mythology - definitely both and certainly thought provoking, I feel its still with me now even after finishing it last night and first opportunity will start the next volume The Dolls House.

Dream or Morpheus or the sandman is enslaved for 70 years by some cultist or wizard, in this time people all over the world suffer, some don't wake, others can't sleep or dream at all. When finally he escapes he goes all out for revenge but first he must get his tools back and his power. His travels take him to familiar ground in Gotham City and the Arkham Ayslum where he must fight an insane villain and to John Constantine the supernatural investigator.

Dream is a cool character, a throw back to the days of the The Cure and The Cult, a dead ringer for Robert Smith and his trip to Hell and the final battle for his helm was surprising and excellent. Along with the introduction of his sister Death, not the grim reaper but an untraditional goth chick who holds nothing back, Gaiman must have been a big fan of the early 80's rock & punk scene as both characters belong there.

Quite simply I was fascinated by this in a different way to a good fantasy novel and glad to say I have rediscovered the Graphic Novel.