The Wrath of Angels

The Wrath of Angels - John Connolly The Wrath of Angels is the 11th in the Charlie Parker series and I have to say it just keeps getting better, while the previous novel The Burning Soul felt like the foot had come off the accelerator fractionally, well I gave it 4.5 stars so it was minuscule but TWOA puts the foot right down to the metal again.

I won’t give much in the way of plot details, just to say that this contains everything I love most about the series and it actually felt like the Charlie Parker story arc advanced somewhat with some key details coming to light and the death of a character in Charlie’s inner circle.

We get knowledge, small as it may be, of the backers, who instigate the chase for a lost plane and a list of significant importance that all the major players in the series come out to find it.

There’s more from Epstein, the rabbi, a grieving father and a hunter of fallen angels, the Lawyers Eldritch & Associates with deep connections to The Collector or Kushiel, in demonology Kushiel was Hell’s jailer, an incredibly dark and sinister character, both Epstein and The Collector feature heavily and have pivotal roles to play. Although I have to say it’s not quite getting into the realms of Supernatural with the Winchester brothers just yet. There is also the return of a character slain in a previous novel, a binder of lost men, a soul keeper, hunter of a hidden angel, reborn until killed by one of its own or locked away for eternity.

And the forever touched on implication that Charlie Parker is more than he seems, ‘more than a pawn but less than a king’, of great import in the fight against evil, fallen angels or risen demons, someone with a crucial destiny.

Even the little side stories are gripping, particularly one concerning Parker's grandfather and his friend, touched by death and scarred by loss.

A quote I liked was Charlie’s reply to a woman who tells him the world has taken its toll on your idealism –
‘I'm still idealistic. I just keep it safe behind a carapace of scepticism’.

There’s a lot of humour buried in this dark tale, much of it from Charlie and his two guardian angels but it cracks me up every time the Fulci brothers make an appearance, this time it’s their Mothers birthday.

Another quote of which I marked loads, the prose is excellent as ever.
‘Is this how evil is done, he asked himself, in small increments, one foot after the next, softly, softly until you've convinced yourself that wrong is right, and right is wrong, because you’re not a bad person and you don’t do bad things?’

The Wrath of Angels is simply superb and I find myself dying to get into the next in the series The Wolf in Winter but a little hesitant as it will mean I've then got to wait for the next book to be released. I’m thinking this the best in the Charlie Parker series but then again there’s been so many but its certainly one of my favourites.

Very Highly Recommended