The Dragon's Path

The Dragon's Path - Daniel Abraham The Dragon's Path follows four main protagonists: Geder, a noble in military service, Cithrin, the determined ward of a bank threatened by invasion, Marcos the military hero who's chequered past leads him to take Cithrin under his wing and Dawson, a noble conspiring to protect his King against traitors and rebellion.

All four of them are all flawed in some way creating interesting situations as their story's develop.
Cithrin is an orphan with a flair for business, coming into adulthood, she begins to see sex as a way to gain information and turns to alcohol when things start to go wrong for her. Her part is not the most compelling but the characters around her keep the story from becoming flat.

Marcus is more straightforward, the ex-hero who lost loved ones and becomes closed when coming into contact with others, aside from Yardem, his trustworthy Tralgu... His best moments are with Master Kit, a troupe leader with a lot of charisma and a hidden identity.

My two favorite characters were Geder and Dawson. Dawson is a stubborn nobleman believing in the higher calling of aristocracy, his plans to save his friend the King and the monarchy seemed doomed to failure, but the political intrigue was a stand out feature of the book for me. His family entourage is composed of a great supporting cast including his wife, bodyguard and sons. Geder is a young outcast dreamer, sent to war but he'd much prefer to read a book. A low born noble Geder is the butt of the company jokes until his fortunes take a better turn. His storyline is both fun, horrific and distressing to follow. He ends up being the saviour of the kingdom but equally he could lead to its doom.

This is the first novel by Daniel Abraham that I have read although I have had the Long Price quartet on my to read shelf for quite some time now. This story centres on excellent characterisation, not a great deal of action and I will defiantly read the second book in the series to see where Geder's storyline goes.