Ghosts Of Eden by Keith Deininger

Ghosts of Eden - Keith Deininger

Ghosts of Eden is my second read from Keith Deininger and I have to say I enjoyed this immensely, it’s one of those books that tickles the imagination, a story of magic, dark powers and people that exist outside the restraints and the fabric of our world.

I’ve read a few stories recently that used alternate realities, doors to other dimensions, that sort of thing and Keith Deininger carried it off very well, the biggest plus is that he made it believable and didn’t just stick it down the readers throat, something too many fail to accomplish. Believable asks a lot, but when you’re truly invested in the story and the characters, then the question is that much easier to answer.

Kayla Greenwood’s life takes a dramatic turn when her family is killed in an accident, plagued by increasingly strange dreams with messages that simply can’t be real, she is packed off to live with the previously unknown Uncle Xander and life is about to become a little bizarre.

The fucked up life of Garty Branson is the second important addition to the cast, a drug user who while camped out at a rave happens upon a tiny porcelain jar, as quick as he finds it, its presence is forgotten but it’s something he will never lose and it has a significant part to play in the future. Garty manages to squander everything, his flat, his friends and soon he’s also packed off by his stepfather to an Uncle Xander out in Los Alamos.

Uncle Xander owns an impressive mansion, they each get their own rather nice room and soon enough they find they are to be tutored by the crazy old man, lessons in science & illusion. Things just get insane for the two youngsters from here out, this place is seriously fucked, warped beyond belief. They see things, people that can’t be real, dream things that might better be called nightmares and it seems they are in this place for a reason, one beyond comprehension.

A quote that I liked.

‘She turned. Then the air began to thicken and waver like the phosphorescence of an invisible fabric – and the silvery veil fell over the world again’.

Within the story are interludes that tell tales of the infamous Los Alamos, birthplace of the atomic bomb and a town of scientists, mainly employed by ‘the Lab’.

I highlighted a lot of notes in Ghosts of Eden and I generally only do that when I feel I’ve enjoyed or seriously disliked something and I definitely enjoyed reading this.

It’s almost like Harry Potter on amphetamines, only a bit darker with lost marbles and a constant danger always on the periphery.

A 4.5* rating

I received Ghosts Of Eden from Darkfuse & Netgalley in exchange for an honest review and that’s what you’ve got.